[ RadSafe ] Dirty Bomb Material Crosses Border

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Wed Mar 29 19:10:36 CST 2006

I took that to mean they were "exempt" from licensing, because, in fact  
suppliers are required to verify the authorization for the type, form and amount  
when transferring specifically licensed material.  Although, now that you  
bring it up, Generally-Licensed materials may be transferred in much greater  
quantities, and the license is in the regulations, not a document produced  
specifically for the recipient, and even for specifically licensed items one is  
not required to get a copy of the license, but can accept a statement from the  
licensee in conformance with 10 CFR 30.41.

In a message dated 3/28/2006 9:28:16 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,  
Jim_Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us writes:

GAO  never used the word "exempt" in either their report or their testimony 
before  Congress ... what they said was ...

"As part of our investigation, we  purchased a small quantity of the 
radioactive sources from a commercial source  by posing as an employee of a fictitious 
company. This was to demonstrate that  anyone can purchase small quantities 
of radioactive sources for stockpiling  because suppliers are not required to 
exercise any due diligence in  determining whether the buyer has a legitimate 
use for the radioactive sources  and suppliers are not required to ask the 
buyer to produce a Nuclear  Regulatory Commission (NRC) document when making 
purchases in small  quantities."

More information about the RadSafe mailing list