[ RadSafe ] 60 Minutes feature on Hanford last night

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Tue May 2 14:44:27 CDT 2006

Jim,
I would say it is hard to convince people that we know
how to handle nuclear waste when we have DOE on our
side.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/268605_hanford01.html

> [...]
> costs. They include the
> initial miscalculation of the amount and cost of
> materials needed for the
> project and underestimation of the technical and
> regulatory hurdles facing
> the facility. In March, a team of experts identified
> more than two dozen
> issues that could prevent the plant from working as
> planned. The plant was
> expected to operate for nearly two decades.
>
> The mounting setbacks have sent state leaders
> recently to Washington, D.C.,
> to beseech lawmakers to keep funding the costly
> endeavor near Richland.
>
> Next week government officials will come to Seattle
> to explain publicly how
> much money is needed to support the Hanford cleanup,
> including the
> vitrification project, and to get feedback on where
> it's being spent.
>
> The case is getting harder to make. Some worry
> Congress or the Energy
> Department could scrap the vitrification project,
> perhaps opting to build new
> storage tanks and putting the waste there. Another
> option is using a cheaper,
> but less safe, technology for treating the waste
> plaguing Hanford -- a key
> player in World War II's Manhattan Project.
> Comments at an April 6 congressional hearing
> examining Hanford's problems
> heightened that fear.
>
> "I'm convinced now that after learning about the
> failures of project
> management, the neglect of nuclear safety quality
> assurances and the
> uncontrollable costs we will hear about today that
> this project is on a fast
> road to failure," said Rep. David Hobson, R-Ohio.
>
> Hobson's dark opinion is important because he chairs
> the subcommittee
> providing money for cleaning up Hanford and other
> Energy Department plants.
>
> Everyone agrees the project is challenging. In the
> decades since Hanford
> fired up the first reactor in 1944, a mishmash of
> waste has been dumped into
> 177 tanks in the quest for weapons-grade plutonium.
> The tanks -- which some
> say may have leaked recently -- store millions of
> gallons of chemically
> complex liquids, sludge and chunky salt cake.
>
> Those responsible for problems with the
> vitrification project frequently put
> much of the blame on its unique nature.
>
> "After all, it was a first of a kind, never been
> built anywhere in the world,
> much less in the United States," Tom Hash, Bechtel's
> president of systems and
> infrastructure, told Hobson's subcommittee.
>
> That statement, however, was not entirely accurate.
>
> Savannah River echoes
>
> Hanford isn't the Energy Department's only
> radioactive headache.
> South Carolina's Savannah River Site was established
> in the early 1950s to
> produce plutonium and radioactive hydrogen to arm

=== message truncated ===

"People will be shocked to see how safe it is to live in New York City."
ANDREW KARMEN, a sociology professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, on murder trends in the city.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com