[ RadSafe ] 60 Minutes feature on Hanford last night

Conklin, Al (DOH) Al.Conklin at DOH.WA.GOV
Wed May 3 09:56:33 CDT 2006

The issues are no longer the same, or as bad as they used to be. While
DOE and its predecessors disposed of waste somewhat haphazardly over
much of Hanford's history since World War II, things are no longer as
bad as they once were.

67 of 177 high level waste tanks had leaked. The standing liquids have
been removed so further leakage will be minor until the waste can be
removed.

Removal has started. Several of the smaller 55,000 tanks have been
pumped and a couple of the bigger 750,000 tanks also. As funding
improves, they have plans in place to do them big time, running the
waste through an evaporator to remove liquid and store in double shell
tanks until the vitrification plant is ready. (They may have to build a
few additional tanks).

Ten years ago, many of these tanks were on a watch list, for explosive
levels of hydrogen build-up, ferrocyanide, and other constituents that
made several of the tanks explosive or flammable. That has been
resolved.

Most old reactors have been cocooned, and much of the waste close to the
Columbia River has been removed and deposed of in the middle of the site
in lined trenches.

TRU waste is being removed, repackaged and shipped to WIPP.

I could go on, but that's the idea. I'm not in a position of defending
DOE. I know their faults better than most, since I regulate them (and
used to work for them). They used to be absolutely dismal in the 70s and
80s. They are orders of magnitude better now. (Well, most are anyway).