[ RadSafe ] 60 Minutes feature on Hanford last night

Lemuel Matthews lmatthews at isoray.com
Thu May 4 16:05:04 CDT 2006

Hello;

I spent seven years on the site under 2 different contractors and am now
thankfully private sector.  I did not see the report but there are two
facts that are germain.

1. No news program will say something that will cause their audience to
change channels regardless of any inconveniences like the truth.

2. DOE is purely a politically based beauracrocy.

To say DOE is inefficient would be extremly kind.  I could not sleep at
night towards the end of my stay due to pangs of conscience both as a
health physics professional and as a taxpayer.  Based purely on what I
imagine a waste of time like 60 minutes would say about DOE I would
imagine %99 of it to be correct.

Hanford cleanup is not without its accomplishments such as stabilization
of the discharge ponds and reactor entombment.  I will not venture to
guess what the future health effects of workers will be or the multiple
that would describe the inflated costs.

Anyone detect a note of bitterness?

Lemuel Matthews