[ RadSafe ] Question about a service-connected condition

Dick Granberg dgranber at net-link.net
Thu May 4 20:38:38 CDT 2006

I was contacted by a retired Air Force pilot looking for some help in trying to make a case for getting his emphysema-related condition recognized as service-connected (he is a non-smoker).  He suspects that radiation exposure from his duties in the 1960's as a pilot on atmospheric test plume sampling missions contributed to the condition.  He stated that they were not provided film badges or other monitors, but did have a meter of some sort in the cockpit so they knew when they were in the plume.

He said he was turned down once, and is looking for some technical support from the HP community.  From what he told me, I don't think he's going to be successful in relating the condition to radiation exposure, but weapons testing hasn't been one of my areas.  I wonder if there is someone in Radsafe land who is either familiar enough with his specific exposure situation to help him resolve this in his mind, or knows of a specific individual or office that he should be in contact with?  I'd like to give him some type of helpful feedback.

Thanks,

Dick Granberg
dgranber at net-link.net