[ RadSafe ] Question about a service-connected condition

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Fri May 5 07:29:33 CDT 2006

Dick,
Here is some information that may help.
http://www.va.gov/pressrel/radfs02.htm

Of couse, there are other risk factors for developing
emphysema.

http://www.lung.ca/diseases-maladies/a-z/emphysema-emphyseme/index_e.php

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/emphysema/page2_em.htm

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/e/emphysema/causes.htm

--- Dick Granberg <dgranber at net-link.net> wrote:

> I was contacted by a retired Air Force pilot looking
> for some help in trying to make a case for getting
> his emphysema-related condition recognized as
> service-connected (he is a non-smoker).  He suspects
> that radiation exposure from his duties in the
> 1960's as a pilot on atmospheric test plume sampling
> missions contributed to the condition.  He stated
> that they were not provided film badges or other
> monitors, but did have a meter of some sort in the
> cockpit so they knew when they were in the plume.
>
> He said he was turned down once, and is looking for
> some technical support from the HP community.  From
> what he told me, I don't think he's going to be
> successful in relating the condition to radiation
> exposure, but weapons testing hasn't been one of my
> areas.  I wonder if there is someone in Radsafe land
> who is either familiar enough with his specific
> exposure situation to help him resolve this in his
> mind, or knows of a specific individual or office
> that he should be in contact with?  I'd like to give
> him some type of helpful feedback.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dick Granberg
> dgranber at net-link.net

"People will be shocked to see how safe it is to live in New York City."
ANDREW KARMEN, a sociology professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, on murder trends in the city.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com