[ RadSafe ] AZ Accident? - RESEND

Jim Hardeman Jim_Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us
Mon May 8 16:08:14 CDT 2006

Colleagues *

The story I saw indicated that it was headed from PG&E in Avila Beach, CA (Diablo Canyon?) to Westinghouse in Madison, PA. Probably not a waste shipment but rather a shipment of contaminated tools and associated supplies. I have no information as to how the package(s) was/were labelled, and/or whether the shipment was placarded.

A couple of interesting things to me:

1) The fact that the truck was carrying radioactive materials got equal (if not greater) billing to the fact that there was one fatality and one serious injury in the accident.

2) I-40 remained closed until Arizona Radiation Regulatory Agency (ARRA) folks, headquartered in Phoenix, some 250 miles away, could get there to survey.

Jim Hardeman, Manager
Environmental Radiation Program
Environmental Protection Division
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
4220 International Parkway, Suite 100
Atlanta, GA 30354
(404) 362-2675
Fax: (404) 362-2653
E-mail: Jim_Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us

>>> "Johnston, Thomas" <Tom_Johnston at nymc.edu> 5/8/2006 15:39:44 >>>

A Google of "Arizona radiation accident" turned up 167 related articles.

Thomas P. Johnston
Radiation Safety Officer
New York Medical College
Valhalla, NY 10595