[ RadSafe ] Survey MDAs vs. Scan MDAs

McLamb, John (NIH/NIEHS) [E] mclamb1 at niehs.nih.gov
Tue May 9 08:15:34 CDT 2006

A copy of NUREG-1507 can be found at:

http://www.orau.gov/ddsc/instrument/NUREG-1507.pdf

I hope it helps.

John

John S. McLamb, CHP, RRPT
Health Physicist
NIEHS, MD F0-07
P.O. Box 12233
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709
Phone: (919) 541-4235
Fax:  (919) 541-1893

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Reif [mailto:rreif at whoi.edu]
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 1:21 PM
To: radsafe at radlab.nl
Cc: 'John Andrews'; 'steven pike'; 'Mary McGeoghegan'
Subject: [ RadSafe ] Survey MDAs vs. Scan MDAs

Dear Radsafe list:

I'm trying to determine the Minimum Detectable Activity (MDA) for gross
alpha measurements using a GM detector coupled to a rate meter.  Some
colleagues have pointed me to NUREG-1757, which I have reviewed.
NUREG-1757
refers to NUREG-1507, "Minimum Detectable Concentrations with Typical
Radiation Survey Instruments for Various Contaminants and Field
Conditions",
June 1998.  However, I cannot locate this document on NRC's web site.
Apparently, they do not keep 'older' documents on their web site.  Does
anyone have the proper MDA equations for evaluating (a priori) the
sensitivity of a rate meter?  It is my understanding that the standard
MDA
equation for integrated measurements (scaler mode) does not apply to
rate
meters.  A link to NUREG-1507 would also be appreciated.

Please reply directly to me.  Thank you.

-----

Ron Reif, P.E.,CHP,CIH

EH&S Manager

Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution