[ RadSafe ] Mobile neutron sources for explosive detection

Jim Hardeman Jim_Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us
Wed May 10 11:11:12 CDT 2006

Colleagues *

Just ran across a press release from a company called HiEnergy Techologies ... they're marketing several explosive / SNM detectors using neutron-gamma reactions. The URL for the press release is http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/05-10-2006/0004358579&EDATE= and the website is www.hienergyinc.com

They show on their website the use of a mobile fast-neutron source to search for car bombs ... is anyone familiar with the radiation safety aspects of this system? (i.e. what sort of neutron & gamma dose rates, etc.). I remember a demonstration of an accelerator / pulsed neutron system out at INEEL a couple of years ago, and you didn't want to be within 50 yards or so of the radiation source when operating. I also saw a similar system using a Cf-252 neutron source for remote interrogation of chemical weapons, and again, radiation safety was a HUGE concern.

Anybody familar with this system?

Jim Hardeman
Jim_Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us