[ RadSafe ] [Fwd: RE: uranium combustion produces how much UO3(g)?]

James Salsman james at bovik.org
Wed May 10 22:36:38 CDT 2006

Dear Colonel Daxon,

You say the data don't support my conclusions, but there isn't any
data, is there?  Nobody has ever even bothered to measure the gas
combustion products, from Gilchrist's 1970s work through to the
present, the people charged with quantifying the health risk of
incendiary depleted uranium munitions have never even attempted to
measure the gas products.

Your suggestion that air is "too cool for UO3" doesn't make any
sense.  UO3(g) doesn't decompose at any temperature; it decomposes
only if it has a chance to condense.  The proportion remaining
dissolved in air won't decompose until it condenses.  I am told
by Dr. Alexander that UO3(g) is quite stable.

Won't you please support an empirical measurement of the amount of
UO3(g) produced by uranium burning in air to settle this question
once and for all?  There is a pressing need, because the toxicology
and appropriate means of treating inhaled UO3(g) is very different
than that of the solid oxide particulates.

Sincerely,
James Salsman