[ RadSafe ] Measuring alphas with GM? Re: Survey MDAs vs. ScanMDAs

Glenn R. Marshall GRMarshall at philotechnics.com
Thu May 11 10:58:29 CDT 2006

A pancake will detect alphas but is not very efficient; it is certainly
not the instrument of choice for performing alpha surveys, especially at
or near typical release limits for transuranics, or when there is a
mixture of alpha and beta emitters present.  Remember that in the case
of U-238, what is really being counted is the hard beta from Pa-234m.

Glenn Marshall, CHP