[ RadSafe ] RE: Measuring alphas with GM?

alstonchris at netscape.net alstonchris at netscape.net
Thu May 11 13:37:20 CDT 2006

Emil

Actually, the window on, e.g., a pancake GM tube, is typically less than 2 mg/sq.cm.  So, you might see, e.g., 5% "4Pi" efficiency for Th-230, at not more than one cm distance.  Of course, if betas are present, e.g., natural or depleted U, that's mostly what you're detecting (say, 25% efficiency, under same constraints).

cheers
cja

Emil <kerrembaev at yahoo.com> wrote:
>Ron,
>Is it a joke?
>Not to offend anybody but I am wondering how do you measure alphas
>with GM detector???
>The GM window thickness makes it impossible.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.