[ RadSafe ] Cold Fusion

McMahan, Kimberly L. mcmahankl at ornl.gov
Fri May 19 08:34:04 CDT 2006

We had a similar situation a couple of years ago. One of our operational
groups purchased a Bonner sphere set and made some measurements in an
"unknown" field, just for information and familiarization with the
equipment and codes. Data were gathered and unfolding codes were run.
Not long after our group made some measurements in a different field
using these Bonner spheres as well as a Snoopy and a TEPC. Lo and behold
the Bonner spheres were reporting much higher than the others. Finally
we took the Bonner spheres into the cal lab's low scatter room and
delivered some known doses (sheesh, we're slow). Evaluated doses were
still very high. On investigation and consultation with the supplier it
was found that the crystal size was 4 x 8 mm rather than 4 x 4 mm as
stated in the technical documents. They were as surprised as we were
(!).

Manufacturers, please take note. Where was the QA at the factory?

Buyer, beware.

Kim McMAHAN    ORNL External Dosimetry