[ RadSafe ] Wired 14.06: Don't Try This at Home

Maury Siskel maurysis at ev1.net
Wed May 31 05:57:49 CDT 2006

Regarding nuclear energy and rational, empirical risk analysis:

http://wired.com/wired/archive/14.06/chemistry_pr.html

The above is a link to one more sad situation which is developing from
our collective urge for security. No relief from this kind of thing is
in sight; thus we continue to encourage intellectual eunuchs who will
become intellectually sterile scientists, engineers, and politicians.
This impotence is part of the overall loss or decline of functional
science and engineering in the US.

For increasingly illogical reasons, we continue to demand freedom form
dependence on 'foreign' oil and energy even as we compromise this
freedom in the use of an infinitude of other products. We are dependent
upon foreign TVs and an overwhelming array of electronic gadgets; upon
foreign automobiles, vehicles and vessels. We are dependent upon foreign
components and parts which are necessary for conducting  all kinds of
military operations. We cannot even produce our own vaccines anymore!
But we will NOT depend on foreign petrol!

The United States can no longer harvest its own head lettuce or build
its own automobiles. But by George, we will not depend on foreign
petroleum products. At the same time, we must ensure that our views of
land and seascapes remain uncluttered and that we do not risk any damage
to our beaches. Better that we drill those gas wells here within our
cities where we can really keep a close eye on the wells and new city
tax revenues  at all times. (This is happening now throughout the Ft.
Worth Dallas metroplex).  And Heaven forbid that we risk any
contamination of our air with additional petrol refineries or that we
endanger our posteriors by building new nuclear power plants. At the
same time, we try to impose upon ourselves the same prohibitions that we
seek to impose on Iran. When we can get along without oil and nuclear
power, then that's good enough for the rest of the world. Let those
stupid French continue to supply 70% of their own electricity with their
own nuclear power plants.

In any event, we will make enough grain alcohol and import enough
foreign drugs to continue our high living standards and enjoy our
leisure time.. And in passing, note that we continue to ensure
insufficient supplies of alcohol by keeping tariffs high enough to
preclude any dependence on foreign alcohol.  (Tee hee, just wait until
our supplies of bourbon are depleted!!!)   Anyway, by Allah if it's good
enough for us, then by God, it's good enough for Iran. How could any
collection of such good sense be more logical?

What's wrong with this picture?

Oh well. As some say, if you cannot eat it or make love to it, then
urinate on it, blame someone else, and and get on with your safe life.
At least, we elected these devils; they are not imported and they are
ours! Natural and organic -- Jake and I love this sensible living.
Cheers?
Maury&Dog