[ RadSafe ] Air Sample Handling

John Andrews andrewsjp at chartertn.net
Wed Nov 1 21:41:03 CST 2006

Nielsen, Erik wrote:
> I am weighing options for handling high volume air particulate samples
> (4in and 8x10" )in the field.
>
> Currently we use commercial plastic bags (ziplock) to preserve the
> sample during handling and shipping to an analytical laboratory.  We are
> considering using an inner envelope of glassine to reduce the quantity
> of material dislodged from the filter paper during sample handling.
>
> I am not sure that glassine has significantly less static electricity
> buildup than the plastic bags themselves and would like opions as well
> as any emperical data to support a specific filter handling regime.
>
> Erik C. Nielsen
> Senior Scientist
> Remote Sensing Laboratory
> P.O. Box 98521, M/S RSL-47
> Las Vegas, NV 89193-8521
> http://www.nv.doe.gov/nationalsecurity/homelandsecurity/frmac/default.ht
> Voice 702-295-8954
> Fax 702-794-1007
> Pager 702-794-7222
> Cell 702-630-2323
> Text to Pager 702794722 at nv dot doe dot gov (plain text please)
> Text to Cell: 7026302323 at mmode dot com (plain text please)
> This email message is intended only for the use of the named recipient.
> Information contained in this email message and its attachments may be
> privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not
> the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this
> communication to others. Also please notify the sender by replying to
> this message and then delete it from your system.

Many years ago, I found that the standard glassine envelope was
constructed with a seam that could go across the face of the filter.
Glassine is hard to write on too.  I designed a paper envelope made of
coated paper that was only coated on one side.  This was folded to be
the inside of the envelope.  The outside was easy to write on and was
printed with the standard information blocks and a statement that the
envelope may contain radioactive material.   The folds and seams on the
envelope were all at the edges of the  envelope, not across the body
anywhere.  This  turned out to be a money loser for the vendor because
of the fold. These worked better than any standard envelope.

John Andrews, Knoxville, Tennessee