[ RadSafe ] National Academies Project:Toxicological and RadiologicalEffects from Exposures to Depleted Uranium During and After Combat

Flanigan, Floyd Floyd.Flanigan at nmcco.com
Fri Nov 17 09:30:08 CST 2006

Both safer and safest are inflected forms of the work safe ... hence,
not really a word at all ... so ... is it safe to use it in
correspondence on a scientific exchange ...? "Safer" becomes "More safe"
in its correct form as "Safest" becomes "Most safe" when used correctly.

And while we're on the subject of bullet-making materials ... what the
heck is wrong with using Tungsten? It has a melting point over 10,000
degrees F and is heavy as all get-out. In my experience, the majority of
Tungsten is non-radioactive with the exception of welding tips and some
other industrial applications. Aaaaaannnnd ...... Bullets are supposed
to be bad for you. Trying to find wholesome materials to make them out
of seems like a glaring paradox.

I like Tungsten.

My wedding ring is made out of Tungsten.

Tungsten doesn't have issues with post-projectile residue.

It would, however, destroy the rifling in the gun barrel over time.

But as long as there is war, there will be people who will be more than
happy to make and sell us new guns.

So the rifling issue is relatively moot.

Sorry about the tangent. I'm a little punchy this morning.

Floyd W. Flanigan B.S.Nuc.H.P.