[ RadSafe ] National Academies Project: Toxicological and Radiological Effects from Exposures to DepletedUranium During and After Combat

Otto Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Fri Nov 17 15:02:47 CST 2006

At 09:43 AM 11/17/2006, dckosloff at firstenergycorp.com wrote:
>No, it is obviously not safe to fly on a commercial airline flight.  Not
>only that, but it is not safe to be on the ground while commercial
>airliners are being flown.
>Any kind of human flight is inherently unsafe and no amount of effort can
>make it safe.  It can only be made less dangerous.
**************************************
I guess you meant to write, "Any kind of human activity is inherently
unsafe and no amount of effort can
make it safe." or maybe "Any kind of human activity is inherently dangerous
and no amount of effort can
make it not dangerous."

To me "safe" means "not dangerous".

Safe doesn't mean that some specific isolated risk is equal to zero, but
only that it is exceedingly small.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140