AW: [ RadSafe ] BBC Reports Radioactive poison fear over spy

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at
Tue Nov 21 08:14:31 CST 2006

Another "real" expert!!!

The amounts of radioactive Thallium used in hospitals for cardiological
tests (I had such a test myself a few years ago) are so extremely low in
terms of mass of Tl, that this "expert" is really ridiculous. If the
activities were extremely high to cause damage through radiation the
symptoms would be totally different - as I think everybody knows them. Is
this profesor John Henry a Greenpeace expert?

The case seems to be extremely simple: Thallium is used as a poison to kill
rats and is popularily known as "rat poison". Its use to poison and kill
people is probably as old as the element was known and was in earlier times
rather "popular" besides the use of arsenik. It really works as many cases
have shown very well, but can be easily detected. 

Best regards,


Franz Schoenhofer
PhD, MR iR
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
phone -43-0699-1168-1319

> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
> Von: radsafe-bounces at [mailto:radsafe-bounces at] Im
> Auftrag von Dawson, Fred Mr
> Gesendet: Dienstag, 21. November 2006 14:01
> An: srp-uk at; radsafe at
> Betreff: [ RadSafe ] BBC Reports Radioactive poison fear over spy
> BBC Reports Radioactive poison fear over spy
> The Russian dissident ill in a London hospital may have been poisoned
> with a radioactive substance, an expert toxicologist has said.
> Professor John Henry said Alexander Litvinenko, 41, had symptoms
> consistent with thallium poisoning but other symptoms linked to other
> substances. "It's not 100% thallium," Dr Henry said outside University
> College Hospital. He said the poison may have been radioactive thallium,
> which would now be difficult to trace.   Radioactive thallium degrades
> very rapidly so that by now we've missed the chance.  He said: "It may
> be too late. If it's a radioactive poison with a short half-life it may
> have gone.
> Radioactive thallium is used in hospitals but Dr Henry said it was not
> used in massive doses consistent with Mr Litvinenko's condition.
> "Poisons can be taken by mouth, they can be injected, they can be
> inhaled," he said. "In this case his symptoms are gastro-intestinal so
> the probability is that he has swallowed something that is poisoned.
> "Radioactive thallium adds a new dimension to this case. It means that
> his bone marrow is at very high risk and we have to see how his cells
> recover. It is very difficult to treat because you have to rely on the
> body's natural resilience."
> Fred Dawson
> Fwp_dawson at
> _______________________________________________
> You are currently subscribed to the RadSafe mailing list
> Before posting a message to RadSafe be sure to have read and understood
> the RadSafe rules. These can be found at:
> For information on how to subscribe or unsubscribe and other settings
> visit:

More information about the RadSafe mailing list