AW: [ RadSafe ] Sv (and rems) are NOT restricted to stochastic effects

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Thu Nov 30 12:27:59 CST 2006

Douglas,

the quality/radiation weighting factor is a consensus interpretation by committees such as ICRP of RBE-max values for radiobiological data relevant for carcinogenesis ONLY such as mutation induction, malignant transformation, chromosome aberrations, tumor induction in mammalian cells or whole animals. RBE-max is the estimate of the dose dependent RBE(D) for low doses, formally RBE-max=lim(RBE(D) for D à 0).

Cell survival data are irrelevant for the quality factor.

I remember presenting during a congress experimental RBE values for cell killing by individual cosmic rays in the order of several hundreds and commented in my talk that this might imply that quality factors when applied to astronaut radiation protection might underestimate their risk. In the open discussion after my presentation Warren Sinclair, then (25 years ago) president of the ICRP and Michael Fry (NCRP) somewhat quizzically asked me whether I really did not know that such data as mine were irrelevant for quality factors. That was the hard way for me to learn this distinction.

Regards, Rainer

Dr. Rainer Facius
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Aerospace Medicine