[ RadSafe ] 10-4 good buddy, it's a 9/11 inspection

stewart farber radproject at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 13 12:44:30 CDT 2006

Hi Susan,
I've made a number of posts to radsafe over the past few years about the
high content of Cs-137 from bomb test fallout in woodash. Actually, the
highest activity in wood ash is from K salts with levels of K-40 averaging
about  120,000 pCi K-40/kg ash. As I noted in my paper on this subject to
the HPS Annual Meeting in the early 1990s titled:

"Cs-137 in Wood Ash -- Results of Nationwide Survey (or Woodburners and
Organic Farmers --Is it time to 'Kiss Your Ash Goodbye'?)"

"woodash from Vermont during Colonial days was a major feedstock to the
early US potash industry"

No surprise that a truckload  of potash set off some low-level rad monitors.
Interesting and droll stuff. In some areas like the Northeastern part of
Vermont they take truckloads of woodash from a 50 MW[e] woodburning power
plant in VT [which yields about 3,000 m^3/year of woodash residual from
burning trees from Vermont] and spread it on the fields of organic farming
coops as a soil amendment. A truckload of this wood ash would undoubtedly
set off rad monitors as well.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
The Prometheus Group, LLC
1285 Wood Ave.