AW: [ RadSafe ] radiation in therapy room -- [was NRC Says Indian Point, Other Radioactive Leaks Led to Mistrust]

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 13 15:31:05 CDT 2006

Rainer, et.al.,
The phenomenon that Stewart is probably referring to
is photoneuton activation.  Photons above about 9 Mev
create thermal neutrons by a (gamma,n) reaction. The
neutrons are absorbed to cause neutron activation of
stable isotopes in the treatment room, including those
in the the patient.

See
http://www.hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q2247.html

The photons are created when the accelerated electrons
creat bremsstahlung radiaton in the tantalum target of
the accelerator.

--- Rainer.Facius at dlr.de wrote:

> Stewart,
>
> which nuclear reactions with stable nuclei can be
> triggered by 20 MeV electrons creating thereby
> radioactive, i.e. unstable nuclei?
>
> Rainer

May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist