[ RadSafe ] Free Co-60 Source

Mercado, Don don.mercado at lmco.com
Tue Oct 17 10:06:48 CDT 2006

Free to a good, licensed home: one freestanding irradiator containing
34.2 mCi of Co-60 (8-7-06). It contained 405 mCi when originally
purchased. It is about five feet tall and 2.5 ft in diameter. Pictures
are available upon request.

The beam is vertical out the top of the device. The top of the exposure
well and a lead plug must be removed before gaining access to the beam.
The source is attached to a stainless steel rod that extends down
through the cylindrical shielding. When the source is pushed up into
position, a yellow warning light attached to the shielding begins to
flash until the source is returned to the fully retracted position.  It
has been regularly leak tested and never shown any traces of
contamination or leakage. The last leak test was performed in May of
2006.

We are going to get rid of this source, so if you are interested in it
please let me know. We can work together to make arrangements for
shipment to your facility.

Donald P. Mercado
Radiation Safety Officer
Explosives Safety Officer
Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company
O/9K-2S, B/157
1111 Lockheed Martin Way
Sunnyvale, CA 94089
Ph. (408) 742-0759
Fx. (408) 756-0504
Don.Mercado at lmco.com
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but
rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally
worn out, and loudly proclaiming
-- WOW!!! -- What a Ride!!!"