[ RadSafe ] dose RATE of ANY Medicine is the decisive variable

Otto Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Wed Sep 6 17:23:09 CDT 2006

At 09:45 AM 9/6/2006, howard long wrote:
>100 aspirin  -  fatal at once, good over a year (to reduce clots and
>mortality rate).
>   10 gallons of water - fatal at once, necessary over a year (in some
> form) to sustain life
>   1000 usual daily doses of Vit A, D, E, R, etc all at once can poison
> the liver, etc.
>   Any prescription I write must have the frequency of the dose, or a
> pharmacist would not fill it.
All of these examples refer to deterministic processes rather than
stochastic processes, so no LNT advocate would consider them  to be
relevant for evaluating radiation induced cancer.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140