[ RadSafe ] FW: AW: dose RATE of ANY Medicine is the decisive variable

Muckerheide, Jim (CDA) Jim.Muckerheide at state.ma.us
Thu Sep 7 15:33:45 CDT 2006

Resending. The msg was too large.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide

-----Original Message-----
From: Muckerheide, Jim (CDA)
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 2:09 PM
To: 'Rainer.Facius at dlr.de'; hflong at pacbell.net; nbcsoc at hotmail.com; tedrock at starpower.net; radsafe at radlab.nl
Cc: rad-sci-l at WPI.EDU; Rad_Sci_Health at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: AW: dose RATE of ANY Medicine is the decisive variable

Rainer and All,

> If it is true then relax: "For there is nothing covered that
> will not be revealed, nor hidden that will not be known."

That may be true, but it has been 70 years and counting...

And without heroic efforts by a few people, e.g., Don Luckey, Ed Calabrese, all would still be dark.  Routine science papers, and some letters and presentations, primarily to scientists have negligible effect.  The "science" leaders get their own people who are willing to be "successful" academics, and participants in the "review bodies" who are vetted to assure that they "see no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil" (or else, as Brucer said, "...be drummed out of science").

As we took our case to Congress, NCRP and our rad protection orgs were crawling the halls of Congress, having "editorial board meetings" with the media, etc.  (We also found that the further away they are from knowledgeable professionals, the lower their technical "accuracy."

There's an interesting Aug 30 Boston Globe column on this process, "MIT's inconvenient scientist," at:
http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2006/08/30/mits_inconvenient_scientist/

(It may require a free registration.  Let me know if you want me to send it.)

Regards, Jim