[ RadSafe ] Contamination..... static electricity, radon progeny and whole body monitors

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 8 23:20:50 CDT 2006

Hi friends,

A few years ago, I was testing a radium tube  for leakage. The leakge was sufficient to make my polyester shirt "active" in a few minutes. I sealed the tube tight in a special steel  tube and send it for disposal. I have to keep away  my shirt for a day to see that the accumulated radon progeny decayed completely. I remember the incident as that was the first time I  removed my shirt and wore a lab coat!

The tube landed in my laboratory  as I was initiating a nationwide program of checking  radium stock in over 65 hospitals in different parts of India.

We had reason to suspect that the tube is likely to be leaky. We recovered  it---- hold your breath--- from the ashes in a crematorium. The careless hospital staff released the dead body of a patient without removing the intracavitory applicator loaded with five radium tubes (totally 50 mg of radium). All sources were intact except the one I received for further checking in my lab. Because of deplorable safety status in handling radium in Indian hospitals we withdrew the entire stock of radium (about 20 gms)

I had my further contact with static electricity and radon progeny during my doctoral programme in Leeds University. I could  demonstrate the increase in background counting rates of a whole-body monitor due to the accumulation of  radon progeny present in air on the surfaces of whole-body phantoms made of polythene. Covering the phantom with aluminum foil reduced the accumulation; I verified it experimentally.The retention of activity on the phantom surface can affect background stability.It is specially important when the radioactivity to be measured is low, as is the case with mesurement of body potassium. (Those academically inclined may refer to Knowles or write to me personally, I shall provide the references to my papers in Nuc.Instr. Methods in the 90s)

Regards

  K.S.Parthasarathy Ph.D

  Raja Ramanna Fellow
  Strategic Planning Group