AW: AW: [ RadSafe ] dose RATE of ANY Medicine is the decisive variable

Ted Rockwell tedrock at starpower.net
Fri Sep 8 10:50:20 CDT 2006

Thank you, Rainer.  That confirms my detailed discussion last night with
Myron Pollycove.  He notes that radiation does create more double-strand
breaks than metabolic and other chemical-type damage.  He has conservatively
assumed 2% double-breaks vs. one in ten thousand for metabolic.  He tells me
that the number for radiation has now been directly measured and reported by
two different researchers, each agreeing on a number like 0.2%.  So it would
take 100s of rad to produce as many double-breaks by radiation as are
routinely produced by metabolism.

This says to me that the argument that "radiation is different" has little
real meaning.  And that is the fundamental point about my "realism
argument"; radiation is not some mysterious, unknowable phenomenon from
which no "ordinary measures" can ever provide adequate protection.  Nor does
the "injured cell" lie around as a unique hazard to the body.  It suffers
the same fate as all other cells.  It dies and is replaced.

Otto: I am anxious to know whether you believe I am missing something.  If I
am right, your statement is a distinction without a difference.  No?

Ted Rockwell