[ RadSafe ] ...- CO2 consequences

Ruth Sponsler jk5554 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 12 07:55:35 CDT 2006

Hello all -

I hesitate to post on Radsafe a topic that is
unrelated to radiation safety, but some recent news
has come out on the topic of global warming.

A team of scientists, led by Benjamin Santer and Tom
Wigley, who both have physics, as well as meteorology
credentials, has just published a paper that uses a
number of climate models to link hurricane formation
with CO2-induced increases in sea surface
temperatures.

Those on the list who are interested might read a blog
post that I titled "Consider the Source...positively":

http://wesupportlee.blogspot.com/2006/09/consider-sourcepositively.html

The reason I say to "consider the source" positively
in the case of this research is that it comes from
Lawrence Livermore Lab.  At that institution, there
might just be an interest in evaluating and comparing
the effects of various fuels and in making decisions
about what fuels to use in the future.

I have a feeling that some of the 'global warming
skepticism' here on Radsafe may be a bit of a visceral
reaction to the long-standing and very unfortunate
anti-nuclear stance of the 'environmental movement.'

When I speak of the 'environmental movement,' I use
quotation marks, because these people and
organizations make a claim to be in favor of the
environment, but certain of their long-standing
political stances are highly damaging to the
environment.

The 'environmental movement,' with a very few
exceptions (a few hunting/fishing and wilderness
conseration organizations), has been blatantly
anti-nuclear energy since at least the late 1960s or
early 1970s.  This is an enormous mistake that the
organizations like the Sierra Club and Greenpeace are
not willing to admit.  The actions of the
'environmental movement' have caused utilities to
increase, rather than decrease use of fossil fuels for
electricity generation over the past 30 years.

It might seem to be better to oppose whatever the
'environmental movement' may stand for, which now is
for reductions in CO2 emissions, because on nuclear
issues they have done such harm by spreading
misinformation, filing frivolous lawsuits, lobbying
for needless yet extremely expensive regulations, and
other activities.

I don't believe that the climate change scientists are
all in the hands of the 'environmental movement,'
particularly not when they are sponsored by respected
institutions (Lawrence Livermore) that are _opposed_
by the more extreme members of the 'environmental
movement.'

Rather than attack the state of the art in
climatology, I believe that science supports another

What is being found out about the effects of fossil
fuel usage implies that mankind needs to change to
non-fossil fuel energy resources.  The vast majority
of people do not want to go back to horse and buggy
days, so we need a large amount of energy.  As
probably everyone on Radsafe knows, nuclear energy is
much more efficient than renewable energy resources.

Rather than criticize global warming researchers and
climatologists because of perceived links or shared
viewpoints (on the global warming issue) with the
'environmental movement,' it would be far wiser to
directly criticize the bogus actions of the
anti-nuclear groups that have become more
reprehensible and anti-environmental in light of the
results of climate research.

~Ruth Sponsler

..