[ RadSafe ] Which is Riskier: DU Cleanup or Combat?

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 00:24:13 CDT 2006

Hi Group:

Here are a couple of estimates for a "typical" backyard environment for
total natural uranium endowment.  What is the weight of a DU shell?

Estimated Natural Uranium Endowment in a Typical Backyard -  10 mg/Kg U

Soil Volume

Soil Weight

Uranium

X m

Y m

Z m

Volume m^3

Bulk Density

Tonnes

Kg

Nat. Uranium %

Total Endowment U Kg

20

20

0.25

100

1.5

150

150,000

0.0010%

1.5

Estimated Natural Uranium Endowment in Soils Overlying Black Shales or
Phosphorites -  125 mg/Kg

Soil Volume

Soil Weight

Uranium