[ RadSafe ] RE: Shielding Software

GARDNER Shane shane.gardner at transnuclear.com
Tue Sep 19 07:00:53 CDT 2006

Joel,

There are many different software packages available.

As far as point kernel goes, QADS (included with the SCALE package; http://www.ornl.gov/sci/scale/) is available and there is/was a program called SmartShield.  I don't know if SmartShield is still supported.  It basically provides a nice GUI (including geometry visualization) to construct input for a QAD solver.  There is also ProShield which might no longer be supported.  Also, WMG offers MegaShield (http://www.wmginc.com/Software/MegaShield/megashield.htm) which is similar to MicroShield (I think).

MCNP is only as difficult to use as you make your problem; e.g. you can make a very simple input deck that will solve the same problem as MicroShield.  The hardest aspect to MCNP and most MC codes is the variance reduction for deep penetration problems.  The manual and other publications give you some guidance on how to do that.  I typically can solve any problem with geometry splitting.  Sometimes if that doesn't work I use detectors, weight windows and maybe source biasing.  Note, there is an MCNP Forum (http://www-xdiv.lanl.gov/x5/MCNP/forum.html) for users if you have questions.

There are many other MC codes.  SAS4 (included in SCALE; http://www.ornl.gov/sci/scale/overview/sas4.htm) uses the MORSE solver and includes some automated variance reduction.  John Wagner and the Criticality and Shielding Methods and Applications Group at ORNL (http://www.ornl.gov/sci/criticality_shielding/codes.shtml) are working on another MC code "Monaco" (http://www.ornl.gov/~webworks/cppr/y2001/pres/120715.pdf#search=%22monte%20carlo%20shielding%20codes%22) with automated variance reduction.  Also, there is a version of MCNP called A3MCNP (http://www.hsact.com/fa3mcnp.htm) that automatically generates variance reduction parameters for your MCNP runs.  You have to buy A3MCNP.  Other codes that come to mind: PENELOPE, TART (http://www-rsicc.ornl.gov/rsiccnew/CFDOCS/qryKeywordPackage.cfm?packid=C00638), GEANT (http://geant4.web.cern.ch/geant4/) and EGS (http://www.slac.stanford.edu/egs/).

There are also different discrete ordinates codes such as ANISN (or SAS1; http://www.ornl.gov/sci/scale/overview/sas1.htm), DORT/TORT (http://www-rsicc.ornl.gov/rsiccnew/CFDOCS/qryKeywordPackage.cfm?packid=C00650), PENTRAN (http://www.hsact.com/fpentran.htm), DANTSYS (http://www-rsicc.ornl.gov/rsiccnew/CFDOCS/qryKeywordPackage.cfm?packid=C00547).

These are just the codes I know about.  There are many, many, more out there.  I generally prefer MCNP, but have used QADS, ANISN and SAS2H to make quick and dirty calculations.  Most of these are available from RSICC for a "reasonable" price; the commercial/other codes are probably more expensive.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Shane R. Gardner

Transnuclear, Inc.