[ RadSafe ] RE: Turn off nuclear power, environmentalists urge

Earley, Jack N Jack_N_Earley at RL.gov
Thu Apr 12 16:32:09 CDT 2007

There is a rather extensive line of windmills on a ridge at the border of Washington and Oregon (just downwind of me). If it were affecting Oregon in any way I'm sure there would be extensive protests, and I haven't heard about any negative impact on the skiing at Sun Valley or the potato crop in Idaho, so I'm assuming that they haven't had a problem either. Since farmers typically expect a wind barrier (fence or trees) to provide a calm distance equal to twice the height of the barrier, I would be hard pressed to accept the Butterfly Effect as plausible even for windmills. I've also noticed no detrimental effect on my property an hour east of my house, downwind of the windmills.

As for the return on investment, John Burley in Phoenix guarantees a 16 percent annual return on real estate investments for a period of 30 years (and I've done the same for 10 years), because he makes no investment that won't return him at least 40 percent per year. I'm not advertising for him, and I have no investments with him--I'm just using him as an example of how "real" investments are more profitable than investing with governments (U.S. bonds, for example, only pay six percent). A futures or Forex account trading the Australian dollar (against the U.S. dollar for Forex) would be up by over 100 percent in just the last two weeks (300 percent for the month of March)--it's at an all-time high.

Jack Earley
Health Physicist
509.372.9532

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On Behalf Of Franz Schönhofer
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 3:42 PM
To: Dukelow, James S Jr; 'Gary Damschen'; radsafe at radlab.nl
Subject: AW: [ RadSafe ] RE: Turn off nuclear power, environmentalists urge

Jim and other RADSAFErs,

You point out exactly what I was wondering since years or rather decades:
What is the impact of those windmill farms, of those sun-energy farms not only on the local, but also to the far climate. I have been somewhat excited by the advertisments in Austrian Newspapers in 2006, to invest in wind energy, because of special funds there will provide a cash return of almost 10% and the placements should be done immidiately because the favourable legislation will be finished soon. With other words: The taxpayers and due to Austrian legislation the consumers have to pay in any case for the wins of investors.

Do you know of any international and reliable investigations which put wind-mills and sun-energy farms as well as some other potential energy sources compared to nuclear power into perspective? This request is directed to all of the recipients of the list.

Best regards and thank you in advance,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.