Radiation vs conventional ATB casualties AW: [ RadSafe ] "Chernobyl Radiation Equal to Everyday Risks" - JimSmith, UK

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 19:23:19 CDT 2007

Rainer,
A significant number of victims of the atomic bombing
died from combined injuries, e.g., simultaneous burns
and radiation exposures.  I worked at a military
research facility where dural effects were extensively
studied.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11873528&dopt=Abstract

Many of the first responders at Chernobyl suffered
from burns as well as radiation exposures.

--- Rainer.Facius at dlr.de wrote:

> "Many of the approximately 210,000 people who died
> in the immediate aftermath of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
> were victims of ARS."
>
> The above quote from Smith's laudable and
> professional attempt to evaluate radiation risks
> relative to other frequent health risks could be
> read as to perpetuate a frequent misunderstanding.
> Among the immediate victims, at least 85% but
> possibly up to 95% were killed by the purely
> conventional effects of the explosion, i.e., by
> heat, fire, pressure, injuries from tumbling
> building materials etc. Only the remainder lost
> their lives due to the acute radiation syndrome. Of
> course in absolute terms these still are (too) many,
> yet only a minor fraction of the total loss.
>

> BTW, the total number of late cancer deaths assigned
> to the radiation exposure of the about 80000
> RERF-ATB survivors amounts to (recently) less than
> 600 in the 60(!!!) years of follow-up.
>

> Rainer

“We must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent or omniscient — that we are only 6 percent of the world’s population; that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94 percent of mankind; that we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity; and therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.”
-- John F. Kennedy

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist