[ RadSafe ] Bacterium can survive doses of ionising radiationthousands of times stronger than would kill a human

Wes Van Pelt WesVanPelt at verizon.net
Sun Apr 15 13:12:51 CDT 2007

Rainer and All,
The full article by Daly et al. can be downloaded at
http://biology.plosjournals.org/archive/1545-7885/5/4/pdf/10.1371_journal.pb
io.0050092-L.pdf
Daly suggests high Mn concentration in radiodurans bacteria protects its
protein from damage by radiation. The damage mechanism is protein oxidation
which prevents DNA repair.
This research bolsters the biological credibility of my paper,
EPIDEMIOLOGICAL ASSOCIATIONS AMONG LUNG CANCER,RADON EXPOSURE AND ELEVATION
ABOVE SEA LEVEL—AREASSESSMENT OF COHEN’S COUNTY LEVEL RADON STUDY, where I
conjecture that decreased atmospheric oxygen concentrations at higher
altitude protects against radiation damage.

Best regards,  Wes
Wesley R. Van Pelt, PhD, CIH, CHP
Wesley R. Van Pelt Associates, Inc.