AW: [ RadSafe ] RE: Turn off nuclear power, environmentalistsurge

ROY HERREN royherren2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 00:38:56 CDT 2007

Jim et al.

     Check out http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/research/4212848.html and

  http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/home_improvement/4215199.html

  and http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=revisions.cfls_spec

     Interestingly enough the manufacturer of the Compact Fluorescent (CF) light bulbs that I purchased, Feit Electric, see http://www.feit.com/main.html, isn't listed on the Popular Mechanics survey.  To be fair I think most of my problems I experienced were due to utilizing some of the bulbs in a steamy bathroom and using others in a vibrating ceiling fan.  However, to give CF's a fair chance the next batch of CF bulbs I purchase will be from one of the manufactures off of the Popular Mechanics list.  We have some CF bulbs in a walk-in cold room at work and they have held up remarkable well.

     So is this discussion "on subject"?  I think that it is because it deals with the issue of energy usage.  Humanities future is dependent on continued development of means to support an ever growing population on a planet with finite resources.  These finite resources should be jealously guarded to yield the greatest usage possible with an eye toward eventually developing a completely sustainable energy situation.  For the foreseeable near term future we do not as yet have a sustainable energy solution on our horizon.  So how will we meet our energy needs?  Clearly all of the various potential components for a solution need to be on the table for discussion purposes.  Conservation should be an integral part of any future solution!  Given all of the issues and complexities I don't think any of us reasonable think that we could get to a near term solution solely through Nuclear Power!  Even if it were possible for developed nations to rapidly build dozens upon dozens of
 reactors what about the energy needs of developing and third world countries?

     Clearly many technologies, i.e. conservation, solar power, wind power, are currently very expensive.  If these technologies are ever to be affordable to the poorer countries of the world it will only be because the wealthy countries lead the way towards affordability by purchasing enough units to drive down the manufacturing costs.  This has been accomplished with a myriad of consumer products, i.e., clothing, motor bikes, automobiles, electronics, computers, etc., so this model for pushing new technologies shouldn't come at too steep of a cost, rather it appears to be the natural progression of free competition.