[ RadSafe ] LAT Article: Floridapawnshop'sradioactivesurprise("Yellow cake")

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 11:49:59 CDT 2007

Jack,
The system that the protozans are in is a closed
system.  Their environment is the limited to the
testing chambers.  As cellular energy is consumed, the
entropy increases, chemical processes slow, and the
cells cease to function and die.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolism#Thermodynamics_of_living_organis
> ms"
>

> John--
>
> I'm a little confused by your clarification. Cells
> are open, not closed,
> systems, so entropy is not applicable since they
> dissipate their
> disorder to their environment. I'm not disagreeing
> with your
> conclusions; I'm just missing the connection to
> entropy.
>

> Jack Earley
> Health Physicist
> 509.372.9532

“We must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent or omniscient — that we are only 6 percent of the world’s population; that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94 percent of mankind; that we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity; and therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.”
-- John F. Kennedy

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist