[ RadSafe ] RE: birth defects in Basrah

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 12:54:34 CDT 2007

Jim,
I did not know you were an expert in epidemiology.  I
am not sure if getting information from "your friends"
would provide a useful comparison.

http://www.mdch.state.mi.us/pha/osr/BirthDefects/summary.asp

> > "During 2003, there were 9,383 cases of birth
> defects
> > reported for children under one year of age. This
> > translates to an prevalence rate of 725.0 cases
> per
> > 10,000 resident live births. For children born
> during
> > 2002, there were 11,128 cases reported for
> children
> > under 2 years of age for an prevalence rate was
> 869.3
> > cases per 10,000 resident live births. The
> prevalence
> > rate for 2 year olds based upon reported cases has
> > been above 800 per 10,000 for the past three years
> and
> > following a significant effort to improve
> reporting
> > quality and completeness."
> >
> > I doubt there is much DU in Michigan.
> >
> > --- James Salsman <jsalsman at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Why do you keep posting stuff about folate?
> Basrah
> > > was the only place
> > > in the vicinity reporting an increase in birth
> > > defects.

“We must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent or omniscient — that we are only 6 percent of the world’s population; that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94 percent of mankind; that we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity; and therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.”
-- John F. Kennedy

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist