[ RadSafe ] Plant

davidhelton1 at bellsouth.net davidhelton1 at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 21 11:04:59 CDT 2007

> From: "David Helton" Davidhelton1 at bellsouth.net
> Date: 2007/21/19
> To: "John Jacobus" <crispy_bird at yahoo.com>,
> "ROY HERREN" <royherren2005 at yahoo.com>, <efforrer at aol.com>,
> <radsafe at radlab.nl>
> Subject: RE: [ RadSafe ] Nuclear Power Plants

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enrico_Fermi_Nuclear_Generating_Station

The 94MWe prototype fast breeder reactor Fermi 1 unit operated at the site from
1963 to 1972. On October 5, 1966 Fermi 1 suffered a partial nuclear meltdown.
No radiation was released off-site, and no one was injured. The accident was
attributed to a piece of zirconium that obstructed a flow-guide in the sodium
cooling system. Two of the 105 fuel assemblies melted during the incident, but
no contamination was recorded outside the containment vessel. Fermi 1 continued
to operate until September 22, 1972; however, it was not officially
decommissioned until December 31, 1975. Designs for a successor plant were soon
submitted.> .

I lived in Monroe MI when the plant started .  ( They gave a penny that was sent through the core back then as a publicity method to visitors.).