[ RadSafe ] Annual dose from Nature/Background/Man-made sources

Kai Kaletsch eic at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 1 11:18:53 CDT 2007

Hi Rainer,

I agree that all attempts at using confounders to explain away the health
benefits of living in a high radon area have failed. However, this does NOT
imply that living in a high radon house has health benefits.

It could be that visiting your neighbor once a month, who has very high
radon levels, provides the protective effect to you. Your neighbor on the
other hand, who is exposed 24/7, would not get any benefit (or maybe even a
slight increase in cancer risk). Overall, the area would still show a net
reduction in cancers. [...and it would also produce the results that the
case control studies claim to show.]

Once you accept that LNT is not an accurate description of radiation
effects, you also have to accept that dose is not a relevant quantity. You
showed a graph a while ago relating health effects to dose rate, rather than
dose. I think this is on the right track.

It may also be that the timing of the exposure is relevant. I think I'm
supposed to exercise 3 times a week for about an hour each. If someone were
to exercise 7 days a week 16 hours each, they would probably do some damage.

Regards,
Kai

Kai Kaletsch
Environmental Instruments Canada Inc.