[ RadSafe ] FW: NYTimes Op-Ed Today: "Seize the Cesium"

Wed Aug 1 14:53:57 CDT 2007

I don't disagree with the authors' opinion that Cs-137 should be used in
a non-water soluble form.  I am non-committal about other
recommendations.

However, if one is looking at I-cubed (ingestion, inhalation and
immersion) terrorist attacks, I would be far more worried about bio or
chem than rad.  It would not be hard to culture one of several bacteria
that could be sprayed on food in a way to sicken lots of people.  It
would be even easier to get chemicals that would make for a serious
inhalation weapon.  I don't know that huge amounts of resources should
be focused on rad in this venue.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On
Behalf Of Johnston, Thomas
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 11:29 AM
To: radsafe at radlab.nl
Subject: [ RadSafe ] FW: NYTimes Op-Ed Today: "Seize the Cesium"

FYI, from another list server.

Tom

-----Original Message-----
On Behalf Of Margaret Rakas
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 12:01 PM
Subject: NYTimes Op-Ed Today: "Seize the Cesium"

I don't want to get into copyright issues (real or not)...so here is the
weblink.  They make some proposals for changing medical diagnostic
devices; I would strongly suggest someone (or a group of 'someones")
write a letter to the editor if there are scientific facts they have
neglected.  Or if what they're proposing makes sense...  I have no
expertise in this area but of course the NYT is reaches many many people
and is one of the more influential papers...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/01/opinion/01zimmerman.html

all best,
Margaret

The opinions above are those held personally by the author and are not
intended to represent their employer or any group to which the author
belongs.

Margaret A. Rakas, Ph.D.
Manager, Inventory & Regulatory Affairs
Clark Science Center