[ RadSafe ] MSNBC.com Article: NRC agency has trouble tracking its guns

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Wed Aug 1 20:55:22 CDT 2007

Aug. 1

         Thank you for posting this, Peter.

         Our buddy David Lochbaum of the UCS pops up in this article.  The
stuff from him is between the arrows (so I don't have to fool around with
quote marks).

<<<<<
"There is no accountability," said Dave Lochbaum, a former nuclear power
plant engineer and spokesman for the Union of Concerned Scientists. "This
NRC nonsense will likely persist until innocent Americans die. Then
Congress will hold televised oversight hearings, shake fingers and pound
desktops, and force NRC to straighten up its act  for about a month, when
the next lackadaisical agency causes some mayhem."

He also said the audit "reflects the NRC's double standard," maintaining
that if NRC investigators found similar problems with firearms
record-keeping by security forces at a nuclear facility, the plant's
operators would be sanctioned "harshly."

         This Office of Investigations that can't keep track of its heat is
partially described as follows (again, between the arrows):

<<<<<
The Office of Investigations was formed in 1982 to investigate violations
by NRC licensees and contractors. Its cases typically involve matters such
as falsified documents, misplaced equipment and workers sleeping on the job.

For decades, OI agents operated without police powers. Starting in 2005,
however, all 30 OI agents were deputized as U.S. marshals, allowing them to
make arrests, serve search warrants and carry firearms.

OI Director Guy Caputo told MSNBC.com earlier this year that the "blanket
deputation" was critical to the mission of his office, but his critics see
no reason for it beyond the fact that it helped justify average annual
salaries of $130,000 for OI agents.

Caputo acknowledged that his agents had never made a single arrest, before
or after they were authorized to carry guns. And when OI agents suspect a
crime has been committed, they are supposed to refer the matter to the
Justice Department, which then decides whether to pursue criminal charges.

         This link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17949763/ is within the link
posted by Peter.  I invite everyone to read it.  It is an ideal example of
self-serving and evasive rubbish.  I wonder what these jokers do to "earn"
their gigantic salaries.

Steven Dapra
sjd at swcp.com