[ RadSafe ] FW: NYTimes Op-Ed Today: "Seize the Cesium" In india "think tank proposed Co-60 forthe dirty bomb

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 2 12:54:06 CDT 2007

Dear Dr Cohen,

The NYT OP/ED appears to be reasonable. But I believe that we must not discuss
the details about various radio-nuclides in public and give " ideas"
to terrorists. Let us not assume  that every terrorist knows about the
ideal "toxin" (radioactive, chemical or bio). I believe that the so
called "think tanks" inadvertently give adequate information to would be assassins

A few years ago, one of my friends, who does not know the "dosimetry"
of radionuclides or environmental impact of large scale releases of such
material became restless worrying about the possible poisoning of  a city
municipal water supply with some radioactive material. He asked a health
physicist to estimate the risks of poisoning  by uranium, plutonium,
polonium etc. The very news about the poisoning will have  devastating
psychological impact on the unsuspecting public. I ventured to say that the
rumour is adequate to create panic. The health physicist  prepared a note based on reasonable
assumptions. My friend was not happy as the impact arrived at by the health
physicist was not scary enough! He behaved much like a journalist. When it
comes to radiation they expect some out of the world devastation!

I argued that a poisonous gas is more effective. I borrowed the idea from you.  I  remember that in one of your books you
have explained a very effective way of creating panic. A terrorist can use 100
gm of  cyanide gas in the ventilation duct of a laboratory and kill
thousands of people. My friend did not believe what I told him as he felt that
I have a habit of underestimating radiation risks  and exaggerating
chemical risks!

A few days later, news papers published the story of a terrorist in Japan
tried to kill rail commuters using poisonous gas (I guess he used sarin ). My
friend phoned me within minutes of reading the news item;

A US based "think tank" published the radiological impact of
exploding a dirty bomb (Co-60 stolen from teletherapy units+ a suitable
explosive)in Delhi. Vast areas of the city will be uninhabitable for years etc
was the conclusion. The report contained very many correct and accurate
statements. But a premier news paper (The Hindustan Times) carried mainly the
sensational part of the story,

Believe it or not the following
were the worries of some of the readers

1)
Co-60 is “bomb grade” material.

2)
 It is easily
available;

3)
A terrorist can make the bomb easily

4)
Vast areas of Delhi
will remain uninhabited for hundreds of years!

      5)
There will the thousands of deaths due to radiation
poisoning.  Etc

The Editor in Chief of  the TRIBUNE, another daily from that area, requested
me to write an OP/ED column. The Tribune carried it promptly

 The URL for the article is

www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20040225/edit.htm#7

Regards

K.S.Parthasarathy