[ RadSafe ] Uranyl Acetate/Nitrate

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Tue Aug 7 21:51:29 CDT 2007

In a message dated 8/7/2007 8:59:36 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
efforrer at aol.com writes:

My  question is simple (I hope).? Are Uranyl compounds considered source
material?

In the U.S., by virtue of the fact that they contain uranium, they are
"source material."  In general, they will not fall under the "unimportant
quantities" exemption in 10 CFR 40, because the compounds are usually greater  than
0.05% by weight uranium.  They will frequently fall under one of the  general
licenses offered in 10 CFR 40, or comparable Agreement State  regulations.

You should contact the radiation control program in your state or country
for further information.

Barbara