[ RadSafe ] OT but significant ....

Muckerheide, Jim (CDA) Jim.Muckerheide at state.ma.us
Fri Aug 10 13:37:17 CDT 2007

Maury and Dog:

Besides umbrage at your characterization of our 'argument' as
logomachy...

...note also that if you are out late enough checking the meteors...

...and you can see the early sun rise, you can also see Sirius (the Dog
Star) rising with the sun (early July to about Aug 11), putting "the
Dog" into "the dog days of summer"...

...which also leads to Dog's tendency to spend the day  lying in the
shade, instead of foolishly running around like the rest of us.

As the second brightest object in the sky (after the sun), transiting
the sky with the sun, some early people thought its brightness added to
the summer heat, hence "the dog days." :-)

Regards, Jim