[ RadSafe ] New average annual medical dose

stewart farber radproject at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 14 13:16:19 CDT 2007

Hi all,
I have requested a detailed cite for the increase in average radiation dose to the public from diagnostic procedures used in medical procedures. I am quite certain that dose from therapy procedures is NOT included in the recently revised upward average radiation dose delivered.  The increase is due to a larger fraction of Americans receiving diagnostic tests and the tests employed delivering more dose per procedure --on average. Larry Dauer of Memorial Sloan Kettering gave a very good presentation on this point as part of a recent presentation to the New York Chapter of the HPS.

However, I feel the approximate tripling of radiation dose from "routine" diagnostic testing is very important to have "on the table" when considering the overall dose to the public from background, residual fallout, consumer products, nuclear power, and other trivial contributors to public radiation dose. The increase is a very significant trend and deserves recognition.

The increase in average medical dose also gives some incentive to physicians to be more "balanced" in their claiming concern about health risks of trivial sources of radiation exposure when radiation exposure in the "healing arts" is increasing so sharply, but still below any level of annual exposure that is clearly linked to health impacts. If a physician were to claim serious concern about risk from trivial radiation exposure, they would in effect be hoisted on their own petard. The large and increasing dose from medical procedures also has significance related to consideration of a deminimus level and development of acceptable residual dose levels for public exposure in the case of a so-called "dirty bomb".

Perhaps it will even give the "Physicians for Social Responsibility" and Helen Caldicott something worth focusing their attention upon vs. a small fraction of a mrem from nuclear power plant operations today or if more nuclear power plants are built.   "Physician heal thyself".

As far as too much news focus on Paris, perhaps we can hope the Germans perform an end run around her Maginot Line and march down her Champs-Élysées -- which would be just comeuppance, so to speak. Forgive me, the devil [and a warped sense of humor] made me say it.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Consulting Scientist
Farber Technical Services
1285 Wood Ave.