[ RadSafe ] Query civil and military application

Ivor Surveyor isurveyor at vianet.net.au
Tue Aug 14 21:18:28 CDT 2007

To Radsafe:

I wonder if anybody on the list could comment on the current nexus
between civil and military applications of nuclear energy.

I appreciate that much information in this area is by its nature
classified and not in the public domain.  Yet the anti-nuclear
advocacy groups have no difficulty, in their minds at least, in
linking nuclear power with atomic weapons.

For instance they refer to the plutonium "waste" from civil power
plants.  My understanding is that Pu from a civil plant is
contaminated with other Pu radio-nuclides.  For instance are their
levels of Pu-240 or  Pu-241 which preclude bomb making?    Even a low
yield weapon "A fizzle explosion" is a "big bang."

Pu-238 contamination causes I understand a cooling problem.   Long
standing waste Pu decays to Am-241.   Is this gamma radiation a
further hazard for bomb makers?
Then there is talk of fuelling a power reactor at short intervals,
this may be uneconomic but the object is to obtain weapons grade
Pu.  Is this possible with modern generation IV reactors? Is it
possible with existing reactors including RBMK and CANDU designs.

Their other story is uranium enrichment.  Surely, there must be great
technical difficulties in scaling up from low enriched fuel
production to bomb grade
U-235?

Then the impression is given that there are no technical difficulties
in fabricating the Pu Bomb.   Is it really as easy as some suggest?
Lastly do you need sophisticated delivery systems?  For instance
could you transport the bomb destination and escape detection by road
or shipping transport.

Ivor Surveyor, MD (Brist), FRACP, FRCP
Emeritus Consultant Physician, Nuclear Medicine,

[isurveyor at vianet.net.au]