[ RadSafe ] New average annual medical dose

howard long hflong at pacbell.net
Wed Aug 15 11:15:39 CDT 2007

"Averaging" a medical dose is humorous.
  Did you hear the story about the statistician who drowned, wading across a creek that averaged one foot deep?

  From 4,000+ cSv (rem) in radiation oncology locally to 0 (with only benefit having been shown up to 10 cSv rem) makes averaging medical dose just an exercise for idle bureaucrats.

  Howard Long

Dan W McCarn <hotgreenchile at gmail.com> wrote:
  Hello Mike & Jim:

Is there a reference for this paper? Is there a website containing the
statistical data for this new "average"? I can't help but think that the
new "average" is strongly biased by a very high end, but relatively small
"tail" on the distribution. Are there published numbers for other
descriptors of central tendency such as median, or a Tukey Trimean? How do
these estimators compare with the older distribution on which the older dose
estimate is based? Has the median dose changed that much?

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist
Albuquerque & Houston