[ RadSafe ] Disposal of non-functioning LSC and gamma counters

Robert D Gallagher rdgallagher at nssihouston.com
Thu Aug 16 09:37:22 CDT 2007

Barnwell will theoretically close its doors to all radioactive wastes
generated outside the southeast compact mid 2008.

Persons with access to the NW compact will still have a place to go with
Richland operating.

It is also likely that DOE will come up with an option for radioactive
source disposal through OSRP or GTRI programs.

As is normal with radioactive waste, nothing is certain. The only certain
thing is that disposal will be more difficult and usually much more
expensive.

What we are finding is that University regents and their associated lawyers
are looking to eliminate current and future liability. One way to accomplish
that is to get hazardous and radioactive items off campus. We are being
bombarded with exit signs, electron capture detectors, old sealed sources,
and Uranium and Thorium compounds that schools have been told to get rid of.

Bob Gallagher
NSSI
713 641-0391