[ RadSafe ] Chernobyl fallout and school outcome, Strange it was published in Chemistry World

Bjorn Cedervall bcradsafers at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 17 04:09:03 CDT 2007

>I was surprised to note that the authors who are qualified in economics
>released the conclusions of a study which required knowledge of
>radio-biology  in Chemistry World, a journal which publishes latest
>chemistry news every day!

As you can see - one of the authors has also specialized on the theory of
prostitution, the marriage market etc (and the "nuclear family"!).

>  In any case, the paper has the potential to create a lot of fury and
>noise signifying nothing. In the meanwhile, it may cause unnecessary
>anxiety among pregnant or potentially pregnant radiation workers and
>patients

It already created some "noise" in Sweden.

>The period  high sensitivity for the fetus (based on Horishima studies) is
>8 to 15 weeks post conception. Why the authors chose children irradiated in
>utero 8 to 25 weeks post conception is not clear.

I agree - it will be interesting to see why they chose the 25 week
truncation.

Then I say - what could the number of pregnancies with weeks 8-25 be? A
first rough estimate I made (size order) would land at something like 400
(200-800). Say an underlying population of 100000 people. 50000 females but
only a fraction of these will be pregnant weeks 8-25 (average number of
children per woman in Sweden is probably close to 2).

>The authors should have published their paper in a peer reviewed
>radio-biology journal.
It is probably "better" for the paper to be published in a journal where the
editorial board has less perspective on the subject...

My personal reflections only,

bcradsafers at hotmail.com      Bjorn Cedervall