FW: [ RadSafe ] Disposal of non-functioning LSC and gamma countersand other items

Bryan Kirk Bryan-Bionomics at comcast.net
Fri Aug 17 08:15:07 CDT 2007

If the argument is that commercial facilities are looking at this as a
public service and not as a financial opportunity, I have to chuckle. I
understand the argument that some licensees' or generators will bypass
the law so they can save money, but I do not believe most people would
knowingly do this.  I think that generators believe they are doing the
right thing because receiving facilities sell the service as recycling,
when it actually disposal. If the receiving facilities would follow the
laws in place and only receive items destined for disposal on an NRC
waste manifest it would not be an issue. They way I see it, it would be
like having a hazardous waste generator ship you a pail of used solvents
for recycling, on a bill of lading, and once you receive it you call it
a waste and dispose of it. I believe responsibility is on both ends, if
the facilities did not offer the questionable service (at best) the
generators would have no option but to ship properly.

As far as "several thousand dollar transport cost and another $1,000
disposal charge", I believe you can find the odd example of this, but in
general, you may pay several thousand dollars but it will include
transportation, packaging, brokering, and disposal of more than an ecd
or 2.

As I mentioned earlier, this practice has been going on a long time and
I don't know that it will ever end. But as people are finding out that
Barnwell is really closing this time and the mad rush to ship comes,
users need to make sure that sources shipped for "recycling" get
disposed of before July 1, 2008. If they don't and they are returned
them may be stuck with them for a long time.

We are all in business to make money, the question is how far will we go
to make it?

Bryan Kirk
Bionomics, Inc.
(865) 220-8501