[ RadSafe ] " Technology to detect radiation has progressed "

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Wed Aug 22 20:04:53 CDT 2007

At 03:14 PM 8/22/07 +1000, ROGERS, Brent wrote:
>Steven
>
>You said:
>
>"I consider your question about being prepared for contingencies to
>be so hypothetical that it does not warrant serious consideration"
>
>I take your point.  One cannot discuss contingencies without considering
>hypotheticals.  Fair enough. But since you publicly disparaged the very
>people who ARE responsible for considering those hypotheticals, I mistakenly
>presumed that you had indeed given the matter serious consideration.  My
>mistake.

         I believe I have given the matter serious consideration.  That is
why I said we can not prepare for every contingency.  Any criminal can
think up crimes faster than an honest person can devise ways of protecting
himself from the criminal.

>As for being unaware of the Atlanta Olympic bombing, it was a major event
>that received massive world-wide media coverage.  I don't know how you
>missed it.  One of the responding security guards was initially blamed and
>was really demonized by the GBI.  Apparently, he had applied to be a cop,
>didn't get the job, so he must have been 'disgruntled'.  As it turned out,
>he was the wrong guy, the GBI looked ridiculous and I believe he sued them
>for defamation, or perhaps it he received a settlement.  Finally, the bomber
>was apprehended by an off-duty cop in North Carolina about 5 years ago,
>(with much world-wide media fanfare) after living in the woods since 1996.
>The cop saw him dumpster-diving for food, and decided to ask a few
>questions.  None of this rings a bell?  Caught you totally unaware?

         Honestly . . . . .

         Re-read my message.   The germane portion is below.  I said I had
never heard of the Little League World Series.

         You may have your wires crossed on another point.  As I recall,
the man who was caught while dumpster diving was that so-called pro-lifer
who shot one or two people who were connected with an abortion clinic.  One
or both of the victims was killed, and the killer hid out in the woods for
five years.  I emphasize that I could stand to be corrected on this.  It's
been a few years since the killer/dumpster-diver was apprehended, and I did
not follow the case closely.

Steven Dapra

>Brent Rogers
>Leader Commercial Radiation Safety Group
>Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation
>PMB 1, Menai NSW 2234
>T +61 2 9717 3251
>F +61 2 9717 9266
>M +61 4 1723 1879 (0417 231 879)