[ RadSafe ] " Technology to detect radiation has progressed "

nssihou at aol.com nssihou at aol.com
Thu Aug 23 06:17:01 CDT 2007

Most scrap yards now have radiation monitors and check metal as it enters the site. Unfortunately, the radioactive material is not always seen if shielded by a lot of other steel scarp. Texas has had several source? melts over the last few years. Before radiation monitors, I'm sure lots of radioactive incidents went undetected.

Texas has lots of NORM waste generation in oil field tubulars and tanks. The state has set the scrap content levels of NORM that can be melted.?For Tubulars and tanks with higher NORM content, the NORM scale is removed for disposal at radioactive land disposal sites.?

The bigger problem is that we have larger and larger numbers of radiation monitoring devices and fewer and fewer qualified persons operating them.

Once Homeland Security gets the?interstate highway monitors in operation, cops will be pulling over trucks that set off alarms. The feds are?going to start finding things they didn't realize existed.

And if the marketers wise up, it wont be that long before your mobile phone will have an optional radiation detector available to?protect you and your family.?? LOL

Bob Gallagher
NSSI
713 641-0391

?